Green Bean Casserole Ingredients:
4 cups fresh green beans
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons dried onion
½ cup panko
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Green Bean Casserole Directions:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Oil your baking pan.
- Grab a large skillet and sauté the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Add about 1/3 cup of water. You know they’re done when the water is evaporated.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Snap the ends off of each of the green beans. Boil a pot of water and add the beans. Let them boil for about five minutes. Drain and add to a bowl with the onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- In a small bowl mix the yogurt, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Mix well and then combine with the green beans.
- Pour the green bean and sauce mixture into the baking pan.
- Mix the dried onion, panko, cheese, and seasoning in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 35 minutes. If the top isn’t browned well after 35 minutes you can leave it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to let the topping brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
This green bean casserole is healthier than some others because:
- It uses fresh green beans instead of frozen. This cuts back on sodium and is honestly just tastier.
- Let’s cut calories from the cream sauce by using some Greek yogurt! It’s also high in protein so it’ll make the food more filling.
- We’ll skip the fried onions and make topping out of crunchy panko and dried onion.