Meat and Zucchini Stuffed Peppers Ingredients:
- 4 bell peppers
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Meat and Zucchini Stuffed Peppers Instructions:
- Cut the top off of each pepper and remove all of the seeds. Wash the peppers.
- Pour half of the chopped tomatoes and the broth in the slow cooker. Begin heating it up.
- Brown the turkey and sausage together in a pan. Once it’s brown you can add the onion, garlic, and zucchini. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the meat mixture with the rice and the rest of the tomatoes.
- Add the peppers cut side up so they’re ready to be filled.
- Fill the peppers with the meat and rice mixture.
- Cook on low in the slow cooker for at least 6 hours (8 is optimal).
- Remove the peppers and put them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the cheese over them and put them under the broilers until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
The meat and zucchini stuffed peppers come out with extra flavor because of the slower cooking process.
You can customize this meat and zucchini stuffed peppers recipe however you like. Depending on your taste, make it spicier, substitute the zucchini for other veggies, or make a vegetarian version by eliminating the meat.