Frankenstein’s Coffin Surprise Ingredients:
2 (8 1/2 oz.) pkgs. corn bread mix
2/3 C of milk
1/4 t black paste food coloring
1 T of canola oil
1 sweet red pepper, sliced
1 Serrano pepper, seed and chopped very fine
1/3 C onion, chopped
2 (15 oz.) cans vegetarian chili
Frankenstein’s Coffin Surprise Instructions:
- Preset the oven to 400 degrees allowing it to preheat.
- Generously spray a 9 X 5 loaf pan on the bottoms and sides with a cooking spray.
- Place the corn bread mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk and eggs and whisk until well blended.
- Add in the food coloring and blend until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the bread has cooled slice off the top one fourth.
- Gently remove the bread from the middle of the bottom piece, leaving a 1 inch shell.
- Pour the oil into a skillet placed over medium heat.
- Stir in both types of pepper and the onion.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove 1/4 C of the mixture and set aside.
- Stir the chili into the remaining onion mixture until blended together well.Heat the mixture for 10 minutes or until completely heated through.
- Fill the hollowed out bread with the chili mixture.
- Spoon the reserved onion mixture over the top of the chili.
- Cover with the top one fourth of the bread.
This Frankenstein’s Coffin Surprise is a fun way to serve your chili on a cold Halloween night. If you have remaining chili place it in a bowl next to the coffin just in case you run out of your coffin chili.
Makes 6 servings
Preparation Time: approximately 30 minutes
Cooking Time: approximately 18 minutes
Baking Time: approximately 30 minutes + cooling
Total Time: approximately 1 hour 18 minutes + cooling